Enjoy learning a little of the local lingo! If you have any difficulty with pronunciation, please don’t hesitate to ask us the next time that you visit the hotel!
Note: sg = singular (said to one person), pl – plural (said to more than one person)
- Sawubona (sg)
- Sanibonani (pl)
How are you?
- Unjani? (sg)
- Ninjani? (pl)
Reply to ‘How are you?’
- Ngikhona, ngiyabonga. Wena Unjani? (sg) – Meaning: I’m well, thank you, how are you?
- Sikhona, siyabonga. Nina ninjani? (pl) – Meaning: We are well, thank you, how are you?
What is your name?
My name is …
Pleased to meet you
- Lala kahle (sg)
- Lalani kahle (pl)
- Sala kahle (sg – to person staying)
- Salani kahle (pl – to people staying)
- Hamba kahle (sg – to person going)
- Hambani kahle (pl – to people going)
I don’t know
Have a nice day
- Ube nosuku oluhle (sg)
- Nibe nosulu ulohle (pl)
view all stories